Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Looking to Be Something

I looked forward to not working pretty much my whole life. So last May when this became a reality I looked forward to the prospects. I was going to fill the day with so many enriching activities. I was going to write my novel. I was going to be ecstatic about being my own boss. When we got moved to another state, I wasn't that happy and I found the days less enriching. I took my infant on 2 hour walks, tried to keep up the important play activities and reading to him. I tried not to become addicted to the DVR that came with our new cable package, and ended up scaring myself witless after I'd watch hours of Criminal Minds and sit at home with my sleeping son in this dark, creaky, broken down house that we lived in near the bad part of town.

I contemplated getting a job at the local grocery store, since we could use some cash, and ended up doing some baby-sitting and tutoring in the short term. I figured when our son got older, and my husband worked out a reasonable work schedule than I would go to work. I also thought about the turn of events where it wasn't too long ago that I said the minute I got my degree, I would never work a "high school" job again; meaning a job that one can get while still in high school. Here I am with a Masters Degree married to a professor, and we are not making enough money to not live in a broken down house and still keep above credit card debt.

As it turns out, the schedule still isn't worked out where I could get a job that demands you show up on time. So now I am looking to do volunteer work, which is what I said I would do, if it turned out I had time, but didn't need to work.

My mother did tons of volunteer work when we were little, and she was always kept busy. I will see what turns up for me. I have to admit that my days go by pretty quickly, leading this life of leisure with a one year old and a husband who likes to chillax with us. Still it feels like I should be doing something to make the world a better place or at least be a better mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment